Interesting People mailing list archives

<a ping> tracking what links you click on

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:05:58 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Don Drake <don () drakeconsult com>
Date: January 18, 2006 10:49:07 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: <a ping> tracking what links you click on

Dave,

I found this via Slashdot, a new attribute to anchor tags that is being implemented in the next version of Firefox (1.6a) that makes it easier than ever to track what links you’re clicking.

-Don

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/darin/archives/009594.html

I've been meaning to blog about a new web platform feature that we've added to trunk builds of Firefox. It is now possible to define a ping attribute on anchor and area tags. When a user follows a link via one of these tags, the browser will send notification pings to the specified URLs after following the link.

I'm sure this may raise some eye-brows among privacy conscious folks, but please know that this change is being considered with the utmost regard for user privacy. The point of this feature is to enable link tracking mechanisms commonly employed on the web to get out of the critical path and thereby reduce the time required for users to see the page they clicked on. Many websites will employ redirects to have all link clicks on their site first go back to them so they can know what you are doing and then redirect your browser to the site you thought you were going to. The net result is that you end up waiting for the redirect to occur before your browser even begins to load the site that you want to go to. This can have a significant impact on page load performance.

Websites even employ "onmousedown" event handlers that change the href attribute at the very last second before a click occurs. This makes it so that hovering over the link displays the location that you want to go to, but it still ends up taking you someplace else.

This change is being considered in large part because some very popular websites have asked for a solution to this problem. The feature itself was designed and specified by the WhatWG.

Donald Drake

President

Drake Consulting

http://www.drakeconsult.com/