Interesting People mailing list archives

worth reading "A Piece of the Action" (was: Charging "content providers" ...)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:56:07 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: January 17, 2006 2:21:48 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: "A Piece of the Action" (was: Charging "content providers" ...)

Dave,

Let's be really clear about what's being talked about here.  First,
if BellSouth gets away with this, the content providers (and by
extension the customers of those content providers, who will
ultimately foot the bill) will have to similarly deal with all of the
ISPs, phone companies, exchange points, and other entities around the
world who want their individual "pieces of the action."

Many end users may not see any improvements, since the overall
bandwidth they get is dependent not only on (for example) the speeds
that BellSouth supplies to the distant content providers who are not
their customers, but also on the subscriber line speeds, subscribers'
individual computer speeds/capabilities, etc.--that is, the *overall
bandwidth end-to-end*.  A big pipe from BellSouth does no good if
everything else along the line isn't up to the same capacity.  Like
water through hoses, the maximum flow rate is determined by the
narrowest points.

And remember, what appears to be under discussion here is not really
providing *additional* bandwidth -- rather, these appear to be
offers not to *restrict* available bandwidth, said restrictions of
course subject to revisions and additional charges when it's deemed
desirable to squeeze more money out of the content providers or others.

I would not assert that BellSouth is necessarily doing anything
illegal in this regard under *current* law.  But in the non-telecom
world, there's a term for demanding money in exchange for refraining
from disrupting or restricting the commerce of those whose profits
you would like to share.  It's called "selling protection" -- and it
was honed to a fine art by Al Capone and his ilk in Old Chicago.

The IOIC (International Open Internet Coalition
- http://www.ioic.net ) project which you, Peter Neumann, and I
have recently announced, hopes to address many of these related
issues directly, of course.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com

 - - -

Begin forwarded message: