Interesting People mailing list archives

more on The speach is on line . -- Gore Speech on C-Span, Monday, 12 pm ET

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:22:05 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Kevin G. Barkes" <kgb () kgb com>
Date: January 16, 2006 4:11:55 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] The speach is on line . -- Gore Speech on C-Span, Monday, 12 pm ET

Shame he did not talk that way when  he ran for President.
Excellent speech

He raised some excellent questions, which could form the basis of a serious
debate about the future of our constitutional republic.

But I fear it will disappear in a single news cycle. I turned on MSNBC to
see "stunning pictures of a water main break in Maryland." The
administration is dismissing it, as it normally does, by ignoring the
serious issues of law raised in his address. The AP report, which appears under the "politics" slug, is written to make it appear this is just another
slam against the President's wiretapping efforts. It even contain the
obligatory "opposition" response which is, typically, a personal attack that
ignores the true substance of the matter:

A spokeswoman for the Republican National Committee, Tracey Schmitt,
attacked Gore's comments shortly after address.

"Al Gore's incessant need to insert himself in the headline of the day is
almost as glaring as his lack of understanding of the threats facing
America," Schmitt said. "While the president works to protect Americans from
terrorists, Democrats deliver no solutions of their own, only diatribes
laden with inaccuracies and anger."

I'm really not interested in the Republican National Committee's opinion. I'd like to hear the President's response to each of the points the former
vice president made. As Gore points out in his speech, this isn't really
about Bush. Indeed, Gore doesn't even mention impeachment. It's about the
growing power of the executive branch and the dangerous weakening of the
legislative and judicial:

"Moreover, if the pattern of practice begun by this Administration is not challenged, it may well become a permanent part of the American system. Many
conservatives have pointed out that granting unchecked power to this
President means that the next President will have unchecked power as well.
And the next President may be someone whose values and belief you do not
trust."

This should be widely disseminated. Contact your Senators and Congressmen.
Ask them for their reaction.

I would hope all newspapers would publish the full text of the address, in keeping with a tradition dating back to the Federalist Papers, in fostering
discussion among an informed citizenry.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Regards,

KGB