Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Windows Wireless Flaw a Danger to Laptops

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:09:51 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: January 15, 2006 4:04:49 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Windows Wireless Flaw a Danger to Laptops

As far as I can tell, Dave, the described flaw is present on most Linux laptop distros and OSX distros.

It's basically a function of adhoc association being peer-to-peer, and the linklocal addressing standard (which is built into Apple's Bonjour, for example).

Don't blame Microsoft for this one. If I were to blame anyone, it would be the original decision by ARPA not to allow TCP/IP to research and define end-to-end encryption and authentication in the protocol from the start. (the first round of the crypto wars). This decision caused the Internet to grow up with protocols that did not default to making sure that the counterparties to communications were the ones they claimed to be.

The 80% fix is just to make sure your laptop is running a local firewall and uses SSH/stunnel/IPSEC/VPN style protection. In other words, practice safe-sex when your machine is mating promiscuously through the ether.

(of course arpspoofing and other man-in-the-middle attacks are still quite easy).