Interesting People mailing list archives

Earthlink IPv6 in the Home

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:09:20 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: January 2, 2006 5:48:54 PM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Earthlink IPv6 in the Home

I want to call my readers attention to something neat that Earthlink R&D did. They wanted to make it possible for more folks to be able to play with IPv6. They came up with a neat hack that uses a Linksys WRT54G, that turns it into an IPv6 appliance/router. More details can be found at: < http://www.research.earthlink.net/ipv6/>. I tried this out today on a spare WRT54G that I had laying around. I was able to download the firmware and get it configured and working in less than thirty minutes. MacOS X works just fine on IPv6 and is quite easy to configure. I plan to leave this appliance/router up on my network for a while and use it as a tool to come up to speed on IPv6. This approach allows me to play in both the IPv4 and v6 world from the same network and with the same computer for just the cost of a WRT54G, which is about $50. Pretty neat!

-- Dewayne

Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>