Interesting People mailing list archives

more on ****yet***** Another new Google twist..

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:42:27 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rodney Joffe <rjoffe () centergate com>
Date: January 9, 2006 6:11:13 PM EST
To: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>, Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Another new Google twist..

Hi Lauren,

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: January 9, 2006 2:41:01 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: capek () ieee net
Subject: Re: [IP] Another new Google twist..

This is not entirely a straightforward situation.  First, such
history displays are almost certainly based on cookies, so persons
who do not allow Google cookies are unlikely to see such output.
(Note however that this is a separate issue from Google's internal
logs of user search activity presumably tied to IP addresses.)

But wait, there's more. I have also been noticing seemingly random but frequent attempts to trigger firefox connections to various planetlabs machines (http://www.planet-lab.org/) as a result of Google searches. I think it is admirable that Google is supporting the research world but were it not for my "littleSnitch" application, I would have had no idea. Nor do I know what Google is triggering, or what data is being forwarded to the planetlabs network, or why - I haven't bothered to stop it thus far. Have you noticed this? "Googling" for this brings up general hints showing Google's involvement, but I can't find any official note in Google's help pages or FAQ.

Machines include:
Server: planet3.seattle.intel-research.net (12.17.136.138)
Server: planetlab2.ls.fi.upm.es (138.100.12.149)
Server: planetlab2.eecs.umich.edu (141.213.4.202)
Server: planetlab1.pop-rs.rnp.br (200.132.0.69)
Server: planetlab1.pop-rs.rnp.br (200.132.0.70)

Rodney Joffe
CenterGate Research Group, LLC.
http://www.centergate.com
"Technology so advanced, even we don't understand it!"(R)