Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Do we need more bandwidth -- your Editors comments

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 09:53:36 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Jonathan M. Smith" <jms () central cis upenn edu>
Date: January 1, 2006 8:27:44 AM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Do we need more bandwidth -- your Editors comments

And bandwidth still changes everything. The thing that made browsers
fun was that the latency was tolerable, and that was only true because
the network performance was good enough that imagery was feasible to
move over the net. It's no surprise that new technologies such as the
WWW and browsers came from places that had interaction with the Gigabit
Testbed program, such as NCSA and CERN.
                                                        -JMS

Jonathan M. Smith
Olga and Alberico Pompa Professor of Engineering and Applied Science
Professor of Computer and Information Science, University of Pennsylvania
Levine Hall, 3330 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104