Interesting People mailing list archives

more on aka ipv6 Off-the-shelf home remote monitoring system (was Re: Man in Germany Foils Burglary in Brazil)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:09:03 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Andrew C Burnette <acb () acb net>
Date: December 15, 2006 10:16:37 AM JST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: Off-the-shelf home remote monitoring system (was Re: [IP] Man in Germany Foils Burglary in Brazil)

Dave,

The problem with enabling these "any to any" connections into the home are all related to the "stopgap" that is known as Network Address Translation (or NAT). Home connections are assigned a single address, often having many devices connected behind a linksys/dlink/ netgear/etc router which simply performs a basic NAT function.

The result is fragile applications written to "get around" the limitations of NAT, and application gateway helpers built into those $49 boxes so many of us have in our homes. All of these bandaids undermine security (due to complexity of code in an application) and diminish functionality of the network as it is capable of if address space were made available for all devices needing one.

Thus, "end to end" communication does not exist on the Internet as we know it today. Why is this? IP address conservation, and limited space in IPv4 addresses. We have legacy "auto manufacturers" with more assigned IP addresses than entire countries in Europe and Asia. The entirety of the cable or DSL offering of Internet service have fewer addresses than some countries.

IPv6 is the unfortunate answer, only because of the extended address space it provides. I call it unfortunate as all IPv6's other [good] features have been backported to IPv4, or are no longer issues (due to three orders of magnitude increase in CPU power and RAM in routers in a decade since IPv6 was solidified).

There is no clear economic benefit for the early adopter, and those companies (ISPs, Carriers, NSPs, etc) are in the weakest financial positions to invest in transitioning to a "bigger" Internet.

Food for thought in any case.

Thanks,
Andy Burnette
Telcordia Applied Research