Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Off-the-shelf home remote monitoring system (was Re: Man in Germany Foils Burglary in Brazil)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 08:32:00 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gabe Goldberg <gabe () gabegold com>
Date: December 15, 2006 8:05:09 AM JST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: Off-the-shelf home remote monitoring system (was Re: [IP] Man in Germany Foils Burglary in Brazil)

From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () bbiw net>

On the one hand, it is clear that all of the pieces of technology and software for doing this are readily available.

On the other hand, I find myself unclear what the necessary details are, for arranging this sort of set up work in a normal home and with normal cell phones, smartphones, laptops, and the like.

As a small example, normal home Internet connections are not very workable for the operation of servers, yet this report described coming *from* the Internet and going *into* the home's resources.

I therefore suspect it would be of community benefit to have some folks suggest the pieces and how to arrange them. This would be for a home with typical DSL or Cable Internet attachment, typical Windows or Macintosh machines, and a user who has good installation and administration skills, but not at the level of programming, or otherwise requiring deep expertise.

Or there might already be some citations to such recommendations.

Here's an article I wrote for AARP's Computers and Technology Web site about Motorola's homesight system. It would easily enable the notification and surveillance described. It would even allow blinking lights to startle the burglar.

---

Motorola homesight Monitors Your Home
By Gabe Goldberg

I've been burned -- I should say "dampened" -- by flooded basements. One
deluge ruined several boxes of treasured 33 1/3 RPM records and another
did $1000 damage in 15 minutes. And I've heard about sump pump
misadventures causing much worse problems. So I'm interested in home
monitoring systems.

Traditional systems are complex and inflict monthly monitoring fees. But
newer offerings build on technologies increasingly common in homes, such
as PCs and broadband Internet connections. One such choice is Motorola's
homesight (it's their lowercase "h").

This modular system handles basic or complex functions for comprehensive
monitoring or just focusing on a few areas. Wired and wireless cameras
can monitor areas such as children's' rooms or a front walk. Built-in
motion detectors can trigger alerts and automatic recording of still or
video pictures. Events such as doors or windows opening, temperature
changes, and the presence of water can be detected.

homesight's HMEZ2000 Easy Start Kit includes the system controller, a
wireless camera, and a wireless door/window sensor, plus required cables
and parts. The smaller HMEZ1000 lacks the door/window sensor. Optional
accessories include various cameras, motion sensor, temperature sensor,
water sensor, wireless repeater, siren, power controller, and keypad.

The system controller and several accessories require power adaptors, so
electrical outlets may be in demand, though some components such as the
keypad are battery-operated and others can use either batteries or house
current.

Accessories are well-packaged with parts and instructions. Since some
include specific mounting hardware, it's best to install one at a time
to keep parts separate.

Aside from too-common scissors-proof plastic packaging, the initial "out
of box" experience was nicely crisp. A one-sheet flyer described and
illustrated system setup. Each accessory includes simple installation
procedures. The software CD includes instructions for all components,
plus a lavish 145-page color manual. A printed copy would be a nice
addition.

Software installation was quite smooth and I appreciated getting a quick
and capable clarification from the product's 24-hour telephone technical
support.

Aside from physical installation, e.g., mounting door/window sensors or
positioning and aiming cameras, connecting a new gadget requires just a
few mouse clicks and pushing a "Discovery" button on the accessory.
After that process lets the system controller identify the new device,
you can configure its specific options such as temperature range (for
temperature sensor) or video settings (for cameras).

System modes such as "Home" and "Away" can be defined, similar to
standard alarm systems' armed and disarmed settings. The Away mode can
define automatic responses to alerts, including using optional fee
services to send text or image notifications to email accounts or mobile
phones.

After installing a wireless camera in our family room and a wireless
power controller on a lamp, I could watch my wife play with our cats and
signal her with the lamp. She unkindly commented, "Big Brother has
arrived and he's my husband".

Beyond household usage, businesses and even farms can use homesight to
monitor sensitive areas, such as cash registers or livestock gates. A
simple summary screen displays status of all components for easy
observation and control.

And with a broadband connection and always-on PC, the entire system,
including camera images, can be remotely monitored and controlled via
tools such as Windows XP Pro's Remote Desktop
[www.aarp.org/learntech/computers/howto/ running_your_computer_remotely.html]
and add-on software or services
[www.aarp.org/learntech/computers/howto/simple_tools.html]. This allows
powerful and inexpensive monitoring of distant locations such as
vacation homes or rental properties.

Overall, homesight is a thing of beauty. Its attractive hardware and
user-friendly software are well thought out and complement each other. I
hope that Motorola extends its capabilities by adding components such as
home thermostat interface and outside-lights controller.

Specifications

Product Name: homesight
Manufacturer: Motorola
Prices: Easy Start Kit HMEZ2000  $299.99
       Easy Start Kit HMEZ1000  $279.99
       Wired Camera HMVC3020 $79.99
       Wireless Camera (Day) HMVC3075 $129.99
       Wireless Camera (Day/Night) HMVC3050 $149.99
       Wireless Door/Window Sensor HMSM4140 $39.99
       Wireless Temperature Sensor HMSM4150 $59.99
       Wireless Water Sensor HMSM4160 $59.99
       Wireless Motion Sensor HMSM4050 $59.99
       Wireless Siren HMAD8000 $59.99
       Wireless Power Controller HMDC5025 $59.99
       Wireless Keys HMSC7050 $14.99
       Wireless Keypad Kit HMSC7075 $79.99
       Wireless Repeater HMAC9100 $49.99

This article (c) Copyright AARP. Redistribution or publication prohibited.