Interesting People mailing list archives

more on How To Tell If Your Cell Phone Is Bugged

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 07:06:40 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: DV Henkel-Wallace <dvhw () talima com>
Date: December 5, 2006 6:56:02 AM EST
To: Phil Karn <karn () ka9q net>, Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on How To Tell If Your Cell Phone Is Bugged

Phil (and Dave),

You bring up an interesting and disturbing social phenomenon.

The fact that phones have been buggable for years is well known. Few dispute the principle that law enforcement can have a legitimate need to bug a telephone for the general welfare. What does get debated is what controls and bounds should exist over such bugging and what lengths non-law-enforcement should need to go to to support it (e.g. CALEA).

Somehow this tracking information has been immune to such controls and has been used in civil and criminal cases for years without any discussion. Are phone taps ever legitimately used in purely civil cases (e.g. divorce cases) or misdemeanors (e.g. speeding)?

We nerds can argue about what our social responsibility is, but I think it ought just be to help frame debates like this. Trying to do so via publicity is probably too hard, as engineering schools neither teach it nor select for students with an aptitude for it. But come to think of it, IEEE and IETF probably ought to recommend that every protocol or standard have a "privacy" review phase as well. It's not like many of the standard protocols have any sort of privacy built in...that may be the best "advocacy" of all.

End users can't make a choice if the choice is never there.

-g

From: Phil Karn <karn () ka9q net>
Date: December 4, 2006 9:26:42 PM EST

Personally I am much more concerned about the use of mobile phones as physical tracking devices than as audio bugs.