Interesting People mailing list archives

can we double Internet population by 2010?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 12:23:52 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Daniel Berninger <dan () danielberninger com>
Date: December 30, 2006 11:59:45 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: can we double Internet population by 2010?

Hi Dave,

If it makes sense for the IP list, I am placing a call for views about the
prospect of doubling the Internet population by 2010.

Is it possible? How would we do it? Why would we do it? What obstacles
exist? What is the current Internet population?

Current trends point to 50% growth between now and 2010, although that may
not even happen given slowing momentum.

I wrote a longish essay connecting slowing Internet growth to the fact we
care too much about coercion and too little about communication.

See http://www.danielberninger.com/dbessays/rc2010.pdf

A website created for the project dubbed "Renaissance Challenge" takes
advantage of the CivicSpace Labs platform.

See http://effervo.civicspaceondemand.org

Best regards,

Dan

202.250.3838