Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Wi-Fi standards face patent threat

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 09:08:26 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kent Quirk <kent_quirk () cognitoy com>
Date: December 1, 2006 12:23:30 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Wi-Fi standards face patent threat

Dave:

It's not a matter of software engineers being too stupid or ill- informed to respect patents. It's that it's literally impossible to do our jobs while attempting to comply with the current patent regime.

First of all, responsible legal departments at software companies tell their engineers NOT to read patents. If you get sued for patent infringement and you are shown to have known about the patent in advance, even if you thought you had designed around it, you're liable for treble damages. If you *didn't* know about it, it's simple damages. It's better not to know.

Secondly, software engineering is a special process. In product development in the mechanical world, the product is typically designed by assembling existing parts purchased from suppliers. Individual parts may be patented, but it's generally presumed that the part suppliers have resolved any patent issues and have the rights to distribute the parts. The number of original "inventions" in the creation of a new mechanical product is typically numbered in the single digits.

In software engineering, every "part" is created from scratch. I wrote a couple of hundred lines of code today. Every line was original, but I could probably identify a couple of dozen engineering problems I solved in the process. Each of those lines of code may be subject to a patent somewhere. Even if I wanted to search for them, there's no reasonable way to do so. A relatively small commercial application, written entirely from scratch using a couple of hundred thousand lines of code, could potentially infringe (and probably does) on tens of thousands of patents.

Given the same design constraints on a big problem, ten engineers would probably produce ten very different designs. But given the same design constraints on a little problem, ten skilled software engineers might only produce two or three unique solutions. Suppose one of them patents one of these solutions. Now I have something like a 1 in 3 chance that when I come across the same design problem that I'll end up infringing a patent.

If it's that easy to infringe, it seems to me that the solution was obvious to a skilled practitioner. Yet we see patent after patent being granted on just such obvious inventions. A perfect example is this week's controversial patent on using multiple linked lists within a collection of data items.

The scale of "invention" in the software industry is so wildly different from the way it works in other fields that the patent system as currently defined is completely broken. We have no other choice as software engineers than to ignore the patent system entirely while doing design work, and hope that we're not crushed under it when it falls down. We have to let lawyers and big companies fight it out with the trolls and opportunists.

Bruce Perens wrote a good document on the problems with software patents as they relate to standards. But it applies to software patents in general. You can find it here:

   http://perens.com/Articles/PatentFarming.html

            Kent

Begin forwarded message: