Interesting People mailing list archives

more on AOL Case and the EU Data Directive?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 14:04:52 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Peter Capek <capek () ieee org>
Date: August 9, 2006 1:37:57 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: b.malin () vanderbilt edu
Subject: Re: [IP] AOL Case and the EU Data Directive?

Brad Malin wrote:

>  I'm wondering if AOL's published data concerns only US citizens?

This morning's NY Times (front page!) article about one particular victim who agreed to be written about refers to the searches of "657,000 Americans". I believe the research.aol.com web site, now seemingly inaccessible, said the data was collected from AOL's US user population. The accompanying README file is silent on the question, but the paper ("A Picture of Search") which summarizes the data suggests also that it's a US population, showing a map of the US with a few queries to indicate their
local nature.

The README document emphasizes the "real world" nature of this data, and includes
this gem:

"Also be aware that in some states it may be illegal to expose a minor to this data."

George Carlin, this data is ready for you.

                Peter Capek