Interesting People mailing list archives

what to say -- more on tracking old money

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 10:57:26 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ed Biebel <edward () biebel net>
Date: August 9, 2006 10:12:50 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on tracking old money

Dave,

On my professors who taught undergraduate law suggested that it is better not to try to argue the law with the police (or in this case, the border patrol or the TSA). He always recommended making a simple statement such as "I do not believe that you have a legal right to conduct this search (compel me to provide the password, etc.) and I am not consenting to this search. I will comply with your orders but only under duress."

This is essence protects your legal standing as not consenting to the search but gets you out of the power struggle dynamic with the authority on the scene. You can then aruge the finer points of the law within the legal system and have the ill-gotten evidence thrown out.

I'm curious what some of the legal scholars on the list think of this approach.

Ed