Interesting People mailing list archives

more on tracking old money

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 09:55:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jonathan Peterson <jonathan.peterson () gmail com>
Date: August 9, 2006 9:36:44 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: : tracking old money

>Moreover, how much taxpayer money is spent gathering such information?

I hear about this stuff all the time because my wife is a consultant specializing in federal banking regulatory compliance - the trust is being investigated because of the Bank Secrecy Act. The law as written by congress is VERY nebulous as to what banks need to be doing, but the federal regulators administering the law are pressing banks to do massive amounts of financial investigation. Banks are stuck between protecting the privacy of their customers and the potential for massive fines.

So instead of only investigating suspicious activity and passing on potentially useful information to the feds, banks protect themselves by investigating everything and passing it all along. Defeating the purpose of the law while throwing away your privacy.

And to answer your question, NO real taxpayer money is being spent, instead banks and financial institutions are incurring massive amounts of new operating expenses (that are eventually passed on to consumers). FWIW - Our back of the napkin analysis shows that financial institutions have incurred north of $1 billion to comply with the act, and so far it has been credited with ONE conviction (a drug money launderer).

There is a great story of the cost and uselessness of kneejerk lawmaking and over-zealous federal regulators who see themselves changing from accountants to protectors of the homeland with the stroke of a pen and the largely conservative bank presidents and boards who've been hoist by this petard just waiting for someone to write it.

Jonathan Peterson
jonathan () way nu