Interesting People mailing list archives

tracking old money

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:20:41 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: August 8, 2006 7:04:14 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] tracking old money

At 04:41 PM 8/8/2006, Arthur Evans wrote:

My wife is beneficiary of a trust administered by a reputable bank in
New York. Today someone from the bank called seeking information that
(she said) was required by the Patriot Act. Well...

Something similar happened to me which was even sillier than that. The institution which holds my medical savings account (HSA) said that it insisted on having a street address, not a post office box, on file for me -- even though I receive all my mail at my post office box for reasons of privacy. (I have also frequently had trouble with people trying to send me mail at a street address when I did give it out.) It is claiming that the same law mandates this, even though I can find nothing in the law about it.

Do they, or our government, really believe that a would-be suicidal terrorist would maintain a medical savings account?

--Brett Glass