Interesting People mailing list archives

more on BBC: Therapy 'sets off airport alarms'

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 09:14:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Josephson <david () josephson com>
Date: August 5, 2006 12:59:46 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] BBC: Therapy 'sets off airport alarms'

Bob Rosenberg wrote

I got particular joy from the irony of this paragraph: "Patients who have received treatment involving radioactive particles are already advised to avoid public transport for two weeks so that they do not expose nearby passengers to
radioactivity."

Please, someone, tell me how that patient avoids exposing him/her self to
radioactivity?!?

Of course, this lunacy is 'protecting' us from ??? Oh yeah, I got it --- rationality.
Sorry, this is not lunacy, but requires a bit more objective thought than is usually found in the public on issues of "radiation."

Someone may be cured of cancer for the remainder of their life through the administration of a high dose of radiation. The same dose spread out over time is enough to significantly increase the risk of cancer in a young person, particularly thyroid cancer. So the prostate cancer patient with an implant sleeps in a room by himself for a few weeks, until the implant has decayed to safe levels.

At a geophysical instrument company where I was an engineer many years ago, we all started scurrying around when the background radiation levels spiked and then remained elevated at 4x normal one morning. Turns out that our purchasing chief had just come back from having a radioactive implant installed to treat a cancer in his throat (and he had walked through the test area on the way to his desk). Relatively short half-life isotopes are used, but for the first few hours or days, that person emits a lot of radiation. Hospital procedures (see www.ehs.ucsf.edu/Manuals/RP/ Rad_Protection.pdf for example) require that a patient not be discharged until the radiation has decayed to acceptable levels -- which are higher if there are no young people (<45 years old) in the household. The radiation dose we all received that day was roughly equivalent to an x-ray followed by a long airplane flight.

What are the airport monitors protecting us from? Think about small "dirty bombs." A terrorist's object is to create hysteria, and we are certainly ready to be hysterical. Being knowledgeable about radiation safety is probably a more effective defense than any. We understand from recent studies that there is no safe exposure to ionizing radiation -- any increase is shown to cause a statistically small but measurable increase in disease risk. Yet we all are exposed to radiation every day. It is hard for people to get the concept of "as low as reasonably achievable" until they take the time to think about it. If you care, try this homework assignment. What's the single largest source of radiation that people are exposed to on a daily basis? Hint - some people have this exposure -- by choice -- and others have little or no exposure to this radiation source.

--
David Josephson