Interesting People mailing list archives

Do you want Google inspecting all your browsing?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 19:18:00 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Wiggins <richard.wiggins () gmail com>
Date: August 30, 2006 11:05:40 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Do you want Google inspecting all your browsing?

Dave,

For IP if you wish...

This morning Gmail served up an ad for Google Web Accelerator. It's from Google Labs. It is software you install for IE or Firefox that runs all of your Web downloads through Google's global caching network. The stated purpose is to speed up your surfing. Privacy implications are staggering.

http://webaccelerator.google.com/

When I installed it, I intended just to try it out with Firefox. The installer didn't ask and enabled the tool for both IE and Firefox. A toolbar tells you how many seconds it's saved; I'm up to 12.8.

/rich