Interesting People mailing list archives

more on US Air - the excitement continues...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 15:22:28 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Faisal N Jawdat <faisal () faisal com>
Date: August 27, 2006 3:07:51 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] US Air - the excitement continues...

On Aug 27, 2006, at 1:43 PM, David Farber wrote:
After having worked around FonKompanies for 15 years,
I would have never believed I'd find a company more
steadfastly dedicated to torturing its customers,
but US Air has set a new standard for "User Fiendliness."

Opinion:

Most airlines still think they're in a luxury travel business, and set their prices and services accordingly. You are supposed to dance to their tune because you love the opportunity to fly to exotic destinations. How else do you explain searches for lower-priced fares that depend entirely on your willingness to be completely flexible in travel dates (ruling out just about everyone but those planning extended vacations far in advance)?

The lone exception to this is Southwest, that publishes its schedules like a flying bus route, and runs its fleet accordingly. They're the only consistently profitable airline in the country. (the world?)

This attitude extends throughout the operations systems of all major airlines. Why do you order something so they can get an electronic ticket so you can go to the airport and have a boarding pass printed? Why do so many steps involve manual transfer of information that was already in a database? Why is luggage entered into the computer but its progress never tracked until after it goes missing?

From my perspective as a customer, the only major productivity boost in the airline business over the last 15 years was getting travel agents out of the booking path. This has two benefits (for the airlines): they don't have to pay the travel agents a cut, and I pay more for a ticket unless I'm willing to spend an hour finding the exact combination of flights that drops the price by 60%.

We flew US Air to a conference two weeks ago, and while we had a better experience than Miles Fidelman reported we still had to go through several rounds of "where is that last bag". In theory we are now using positive bag-matching for all baggage on flights: bags don't go on a flight unless the bag's owner goes on the flight. This is a good security measure (at least, if you're protecting against people who aren't willing to die attacking you), but I am not comforted by the (anecdotal) observation that lost bag stories are getting more frequent rather than less.

"Applications of this concern to expected levels of airline maintenance is left as an exercise to the reader."

-faisal