Interesting People mailing list archives

reducing cell phone-related to deaths to zero.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 12:47:01 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Anthony Watson <atrigueiro () yahoo com>
Date: August 27, 2006 12:36:09 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: reducing cell phone-related to deaths to zero.

It seems that there is this ever-growing desire of the people to have the government protect them from themselves and from everyone else. Trying to reduce every risk to nothing when it means giving up rights should not be something Americans embrace...at least not in the America that Ben Franklin helped created. These draconian laws always seem to come under the banner of "If we can save one life, then we should do it...."

I am surprised that Daylight Savings Time continues to be advocated and expanded. Study after study has shown that there is an increase in traffic accidents and therefore deaths twice a year as the clocked are shifted. I see no real tangible benefit from Daylight Savings Time that would be worth the death of even one soul. Add to it that these traffic accidents sometimes involve children, for example waiting as bus stops in the dark, it hardly seems worth risking the life of one child.

Also, I think a case could be made that the strap-in society that we are now raising our children is is affecting them in ways we have not yet understood. I mean children are strapped into car seats for endless trips around town, they are strapped into strollers and high chairs for so much of their early years. Then later medical science begin warning that our children are sedentary and flabby. They have been raised to be sedentary. There are some consequences to the strap-in toddlerhood and infancy that American children are subjected to early on. I have two children and I tried to curtail my desire to strap my kids down when they were being mischievious and I think they benefited hugely from my insistence that they allowed to be free and mobile, especially outdoors whenever possible.

There are consequences to the sacrifice of freedom for safety, even in a device as universally lauded as the car seat...IMHO

~aw

There's also an American study on this subject

http://www.psych.utah.edu/AppliedCognitionLab/WickensChapterFinal.pdf#se
arch=%22frank%20drews%22

and a news article referencing the authors' work
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060630/NEWS07/60630045
3/1009

For me, the relevant question is "how does talking on a cell phone,
either hands-free or hand-held, compare to a conversation with your
front seat driving companion?"
I talked with one of the authors, who said they've done some preliminary
investigation on this question, and still find that cell phone usage -
handsfree - is worse for safety than the in-person chat.  Their
postulated mechanism is that the *passenger* shares the local context
with the driver and thus moderates his/her own conversation to adjust
for critical times in driving, whereas the cellphone partner lacks the
context.
I don't know if this work has been published yet.

herb