Interesting People mailing list archives

more on When Muni-WiFi Becomes Vehicle For Muni-Censorship

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 06:08:36 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Allen <David_Allen_AB63 () post harvard edu>
Date: August 25, 2006 10:22:16 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] When Muni-WiFi Becomes Vehicle For Muni-Censorship

Having been involved in muni nets, or at least plans for them, long years, a clear sense of choice has formed.

We can cede our nets to commercial interests who do not have community at heart. I personally have documented several flat illegal steps by the current local provider, one so glaring as to have tipped a town vote against that provider something like 98 to 2. That was simply outrageous behavior with every - obvious - intent to line the pockets of the firm at the community's expense.

In such circumstance, I know who I do _not_ want making decisions about what is allowed on the pipes versus what is proscribed. It is not such a company, with such a culture.

And shame on us, if we have no better political culture where we live, than one that would try the sorts of shenanigans reported in Culver City. I do take responsibility for my voice in the local government. Is that government perfect? Far from it, but it is a country mile better than the closed culture of the provider with an illegal bent. We as citizens can take steps to keep our polity on the upward path. We are fools if we do not - that is where we live and only we can make it good.

If we take responsibility for our local governments and make them what they ought to be, they can make the best choices for the networks that would serve the community. And that especially includes staying abreast with innovation and new services.

David Allen
Collab CPR