Interesting People mailing list archives

Interop's 20th birthday is today

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 18:25:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joel M Snyder <Joel.Snyder () Opus1 COM>
Date: August 25, 2006 6:12:14 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Interop's 20th birthday is today

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: it was 20 years ago today
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:58:22 -0700
From: Lenny Heymann <lheymann () cmp com>
To: past-noc () interop net

Everyone raise a glass tonight: The TCP/IP Implementers Workshop was held in Monterey from Aug. 25 to 27 in 1986. This was Dan Lynch's first event, and while he didn't use the "I" word until 1987, we happily trace our roots back to this
first gathering.

Many of you know - and lived - the history, but for fun, here's a recent note
from Dan, recounting his first few events.

"The first thing I did along the lines of what became Interop was to call and run a meeting in August of 86 in Monterey CA called the TCP/ IP Implementers Workshop where about 300 people convened by personal invitation from me. It consisted of about 50 researchers and 250 implementers from about 100 organizations who were either building TCP/IP stacks or using the initial offerings of the various vendors. I only charged $100 per person to cover the food costs. Based on the wild success of that 3 day event I called for a public conference also in Monterey where about 700 people came and I charged $895 to come. That was in March of 87. Then in Dec of 87 did the same thing in DC (technically VA) and then in Sep of 88 held the first tradeshow at the Santa Clara Convention Center where about 50 vendors and 5000 attendees came to see the stuff in action."

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494