Interesting People mailing list archives

A Secure RFID System

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:48:14 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brian Randell <Brian.Randell () ncl ac uk>
Date: August 24, 2006 9:46:28 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: A Secure RFID System

Dave:

I don't know whether you will regard this review of RFIDsec as appropriate for IP, but I personally am highly intrigued by the device's capabilities with respect to the security and trust problems of ordinary RFID chips. I know the developer, Stephan Engberg, having served on a committee with him during the last few years, but have no links of any form to his company.

Cheers

Brian

----

From RFID Society Newsletter, July 2006:

RFIDsec product review/analysis
The Danish company RFIDsec recently announced their first commercial launch of a secure RFID system, aptly called "RFIDsec". The system consists of a tag containing a chip with encryption functionalities, and a protocol called "RFIDsec secure protocol" (RSP). The concepts behind this product were researched by Priway, founded by Stephan Engberg. Recent online publications following the product launch have missed some crucial
features of the product.
So here is what the product is all about: transfer of control to the owner of the tag - when a consumer buys a tagged product, then full control of the tag can be transferred to her at the POS and from that point on it is up to him to decide who is granted access to (the data on) the chip multimodality; the tag can operate in various modes, suited to the needs of the environment of use in the relevant phase of the lifecycle of a tagged product. Therefore, the tag can provide security and control and trust in both B2B and B2C environments. robust security; through encryption, one- step authentication, and a specific protocol for communications with reader devices. The owner of the tag can rely on the security mechanism to protect the data on the chip against any
unauthorised access or use.
When we arrive at a final evaluation of the RFIDsec product, we know of no other commercially available product that really has the potential to solve the key issue
of consumer trust in RFID.

Full version at:
http://dexus.amaze.nl/~rfidweblog/docs/Newsletters/July2006v2.pdf
--
School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK