Interesting People mailing list archives

Robert Reich: Whose Competitive Edge?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:28:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Lyon <jelyon () jelyon com>
Date: August 21, 2006 10:12:29 AM EDT
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Robert Reich: Whose Competitive Edge?

[For IP if appropriate]

<http://www.robertreich.org/reich/20060816.asp>

PUBLIC RADIO'S MARKETPLACE COMMENTARIES:
Whose Competitive Edge?
Robert B. Reich
Marketplace, August 16, 2006

A few months back, the National Academies, America’s leading science
advisory group, called for urgent efforts to strengthen the nation’s
scientific and engineering competitiveness. It cited numerous examples of how we’re falling behind. Of 120 large chemical plants under construction globally, for example, only one is in the United States US and fifty are in China. China and India are producing more computer engineers and scientists than we are. Indeed, some of the newest research labs in the world are now
in China. The panel’s leader, Norman R. Augustine, retired chairman of
Lockheed Martin, warned that "the building blocks of our economic leadership
are wearing away."

So the question has to be asked: Why aren’t American companies investing
more in cutting-edge science and engineering? Surely they can afford it.
These days they have more profits than they know what to do with.

It turns out American firms are investing lots in science and engineering. The problem is, they’re doing less of it here in the United States and more
elsewhere, especially India and China.

Dow Chemical is building a research center in Shanghai that when completed next year will employ hundreds of Chinese chemical engineers. A few months
ago IBM opened a software lab in Bangalore, India.

Last year, Microsoft announced a $1.7 billion investment in India over next four years, about half for its research and development center in Hyderabad.
Its research center in Beijing recently beat out MIT and Stanford with
papers at a leading global software conference. Google’s Indian lab
spearheaded its new Google Finance software.

The list goes on.

Recently, the National Academies surveyed hundreds of 200 US and European corporations and found over a third shifting more research and development work to China and India. And most are decreasing research and development in
the US and Europe.

So when you hear America is in danger of losing its competitive edge, you’ve got to ask yourself who "America" is. It’s not necessarily American- owned companies. They’re not losing their edge. America and Americans are losing
our competitive edge.

Corporate executives may be personally concerned. For example, Dow
Chemical’s chief technology officer, William Banholzer, recently told the New York Times he had a "personal worry" that loss of innovative science and engineering work in America will hurt the United States." But Mr. Banholzer conceded Dow itself had lots of options for doing research around the world.

Translated into political reality, this means American-based corporations are not putting much pressure on Congress or the administration to beef up American science and engineering. Yes, executives put their names on reports that warn of the nation’s loss of competitiveness. But they aren’t lobbying
hard for better-funded graduate programs in science and engineering at
American universities, more and better-paid teachers of science and math in
American grade schools and high schools, or a requirement that the
research-and-development tax credit be used only for research and
development in the United States.

They aren’t pushing hard because they’re less and less dependent on America
and Americans for their research. Yet, in case you haven’t been paying
attention, American corporations dominate our politics. Without the
concerted push from American business, we – that is, we Americans – don’t
stand a chance of regaining our competitive edge.

--
John Lyon