Interesting People mailing list archives

who is to blame -- riaa

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 08:44:46 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Gillmor <dan () gillmor com>
Date: August 16, 2006 7:02:49 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Digest 1.1108 for ip

 For those who thought the RIAA couldn't get any
worse...

While I entirely agree with the sentiment here -- disgust with this
organization's moral emptiness -- may I note that blaming the RIAA misses
where the responsibility truly belongs.

It isn't the RIAA doing this stuff. It's the RIAA acting as directed by its
owners: companies like Sony/BMG, EMI, Time Warner, Universal, etc.

Every time we cite the RIAA, we are failing to cite the people who control
it. And they succeed in deflecting the blame for their own reprehensible
conduct.