Interesting People mailing list archives

more on AOL search logs: law enforcement implications

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:13:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Peter Capek <capek () ieee org>
Date: August 14, 2006 1:20:11 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] AOL search logs: law enforcement implications

Richard Wiggins wrote:

> Here's what's going to happen: law enforcement officers at every
> level are mining this data right now for unsavory searches. When they
> find a pattern of worrisome searches -- user 2150654 seems very
> interested in how to make meth -- they'll search for clues to the
> identities of these searchers. If they can't find a person's
> identities in the search logs, they'll pursue a subpoena to make AOL
> cough up the screen name.

> And then watch law enforcement at all levels demand the ability to
> fish through search logs indiscriminately anytime they want.
> /rich

I fear this is indeed a likely scenario. I wonder if AOL has already destroyed the data which relates real screen names to the "random" ones in the published search data. Since, as far as we know, it's not yet evidence, AOL could perhaps forestall another public relations debacle by doing so now. Of course, if they don't do so, I suppose they could claim to (at least) be helping law enforcement by making a virtue, as viewed by some people, of the data release. This course may not be possible though, given that we now that AOL keeps fully identified search logs
and could be forced to search them to find the "offending" user.

                Peter Capek