Interesting People mailing list archives

more on why are airport rules ike they are

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 14:55:36 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Brown <brown () brauhaus org>
Date: August 12, 2006 2:35:11 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] why are airport rules ike they are

Here's a thought -- why not "fix" baggage handling so that flyers can be
somewhat confident that their bags will get through the system and out the
otherside with all the stuff still inside?

Why not just start with being able to consistently locate baggage -- surely
technology exists to make this possible.  Fedex and UPS can do it with
packages.  Why can't airlines do it with luggage?

If people knew that checked bags were going to make it through with them,
wouldn't they be less likely to take everything and the kitchen sink in
carry-on? I know this doesn't solve all the problems, but, it might at
least ease things somewhat.

Whats that you say, "don't they already -- there is a barcode on every bag"
Well, no.  We found this out recently on a flight to Maine, where we got
stuck in Philly when a flight got canceled because of weather.  Yes, the
bags are tagged, but there's no consistent system in place to track the
bags as they're going through the system -- only when bags are "lost" are
the barcode tags used to help reunite them with their owners.

McCarren International in Las Vegas has started using RFID tags to address
the logistics issues of tracking baggage, but that system isn't in use
industry wide. (google for "McCarran RFID" )

Dan.