Interesting People mailing list archives

more on using phone cards for secure communications

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 13:44:46 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Larry Stewart <larry () stewart org>
Date: August 3, 2006 10:29:53 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, bmeeks () cox net
Cc: lstewart () acm org
Subject: using phone cards for secure communications

for IP

bmeeks () cox net says

I would instruct sources, either during face to face meetings or
"talking"
to a group of potential sources (like law enforcement) in an electronic
forum, to buy phone cards and make calls to me from public phones or
from
disposable cell phones.
I would point out, for the protection of sources, that it is not safe to
use a
phone card more than once!  It is easy for the authorities
to obtain records of all calls made with a particular phone card.

If one were to use the same card to call a reporter, and later to call
your spouse
or friend or whoever, then the calls could be linked.

Needless to say, phone cards should be purchased with cash, never more
than one
at a time, never twice in the same store, and preferably not under the
gaze of
a camera.

It is too bad we need such tradecraft to keep our freedom.

-Larry