Interesting People mailing list archives

more on NYT: U.S. Wins Access to Reporter Phone Records

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 18:58:54 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Brock N. Meeks" <bmeeks () cox net>
Date: August 2, 2006 6:17:46 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] NYT: U.S. Wins Access to Reporter Phone Records

Hail hardy and good f-ing luck to the Feds.

As a reporter I when dealing with sensitive sources I NEVER called them on a phone that could be traced to them or myself nor would I ever have them call
me on a phone that could be traced back to them.

And here I'm talking about sources that handling information that was
classified or "hot" in some big way; not talking about a congressional
staffer or agency employee leaking me a draft copy of a GAO report or
something like that.

I would instruct sources, either during face to face meetings or "talking"
to a group of potential sources (like law enforcement) in an electronic
forum, to buy phone cards and make calls to me from public phones or from
disposable cell phones.

I had more than two dozen Federal Air Marshals as sources and they all
communicated with me using phone cards.

Yes, all very James Bond, to be sure. But for years I was afraid that just
this sort of thing might happen one day, either legally or illegally.

I know several other reporters that operate like this as well.

--Brock