Interesting People mailing list archives

more on more on Competition sends phone rates up

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:12:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: April 13, 2006 6:51:42 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Competition sends phone rates up

Dave,

An irony is that while the phone companies are screaming to
regulators that VoIP is killing their rate base and the like, hardly
anyone bothers to mention that to use VoIP you gotta have a
broadband Internet connection, and for most people that's DSL.

And where do most folks get their DSL from?  Ta dah!  The phone company!

Much of the competition talk really relates only to all of the
gadgets and services, not to the fact that they're mostly being
provided by a relatively small (and shrinking) group of very large
telecom conglomerates, who are trying to set all of the rules of the
game across the board.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com

 - - -

Begin forwarded message: