Interesting People mailing list archives

H1-Bs again: WSJ.com - Businesses Make a Push For High-Skilled Foreign Workers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 14:55:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Suzanne Johnson <sjohnson () pobox com>
Date: April 6, 2006 11:49:35 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Fwd: H1-Bs again: WSJ.com - Businesses Make a Push For High- Skilled Foreign Workers

Dave..
possibly for IP....
        Suzanne

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 08:41:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: reece () pobox com

For IP. The reason is I think the opening statement:

"Last year, Stanford University awarded 88 Ph.D.s in electrical engineering, 49 of which went to foreign-born students...."

begs a question about admission policies and the shortage of native engineering grads. Did Stanford get only 39 applications from US citizens who met its minimum eligibility requirements? Or did it turn down eligible US citizens in favor of foreigners with sexier applications? For 30 years I've been hearing it gets 10-20X more applications than there are slots so I suspect it's the latter. It's a private school and can do pretty much what it wants but I think the question is quite relevant to taxpayer-supported schools like UC.

By the way, pardon my xenophobia, but have you noticed that the only time you see or hear the words "indispensable" or "talent" associated with members of the American workforce it's only with regard to the foreign ones?
!

Click the following to access the sent link: WSJ.com - Businesses Make a Push For High-Skilled Foreign Workers* This article will be available to non- subscribers of the Online Journal for up to seven days after it is e-mailed.

*This article can also be accessed if you copy and paste the entire address below into your web browser. http://online.wsj.com/wsjgate?subURI=%2Farticle% 2FSB114428412807618377-email.html&nonsubURI=%2Farticle_email% 2FSB114428412807618377-lMyQjAxMDE2NDA0NjIwODY0Wj.html