Interesting People mailing list archives

Federal Agencies Secretly Sharing Passenger Data

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:04:56 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Barry Steinhardt <BSTEINHARDT () aclu org>
Date: April 21, 2006 3:50:54 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Federal Agencies Secretly Sharing Passenger Data

Dave,

It has come to light that Department of Homeland Security (DHS) signed a secret agreement with the Centers for Disease Control to share airline passenger information. This despite the fact that a public comment period is underway before the CDC over that agency's effort to institute its own CAPPS II/Secure Flight-style airline data collection regime. And, despite the fact that such sharing appears to violate the conditions of the US-EU agreement that was reached to allow the sharing of European passenger data with the US government.

The secret agreement was referenced in a little-noticed paragraph in comments filed with the CDC by the Air Transport Association.

We have filed a FOIA seeking information on the agreement. A press release as well as our FOIA and our previous comments on the issue to the CDC can be found athttp://www.aclu.org/privacy/spying/ 25246prs20060421.html

An article on the secret agreement, which was first noticed by Federal Computer Week, is online at http://www.fcw.com/ article94142-04-20-06-Web

The ATA's comments to the CDC, which includes the paragraph disclosing the agreement on page 5, is at http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/ dq/nprm/comments/2006Mar1_ATA.pdf

Barry Steinhardt

Director Technology and Liberty Project