Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Well. *this* doesn't bode well...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:30:47 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: April 18, 2006 2:17:12 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Well. *this* doesn't bode well...

According to the AP, yesterday's "maintenance" by Turbotax was a reboot to
prepare for the filing deadline rush:

        Intuit spokeswoman Julie Miller equated the move to the rebooting
        of a PC and said the company decided to do the ''preventative
        maintenance'' before the system could potentially slow to a crawl
        for the inevitable thousands of last-minute tax filers.

        ''If we see the system slowing down, we take proactive steps to
        get ahead of it,'' Miller said.

(From http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/technology/AP-Intuit-Tax-Day.html)

To me, that smells of buggy code, and probably a resource leak. Of course,
I don't know if it's Intuit's software or the underlying OS.