Interesting People mailing list archives

more on OECD on employment protective laws

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:44:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: April 17, 2006 4:29:17 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: "'Frode Hegland'" <frode () hegland com>, Russell Nelson <nelson () crynwr com>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on OECD on employment protective laws

And the Brits haven't stopped - how much of the world's fiber capacity is
kept off the market to assure scarcity so C&W can maintain its prices?
With all the talk of debt relief wouldn't make far more sense to make the
capacity available to those economies?
A new book "The Box" is about how container shipped changed world economics
because renegades were able to bypass the old guard. It's much harder to
lay fiber as long as its treated like the prerogative of robber barons
rather than a public necessity.
As I pointed out in http://www.frankston.com/?name=AssuringScarcity the
industry (in this case cellular) has an explicit policy to maintain
control. Until we recognize that bits are content are unrelated will
confuse monopolies with real businesses
(http://www.frankston.com/?name=TelecomPhrase)
Alas, the WTO is more likely to preserve the fiction of tele/com than to
create opportunity. Perhaps the World Bank and others may want to voice
their concerns.