Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Viewpoint: Has Katrina saved US media?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 18:10:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Lyon <jelyon () mac com>
Date: September 6, 2005 4:44:50 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Viewpoint: Has Katrina saved US media?

For IP if appropriate.

It might be a useful object lesson to read "The News about the News," by
Downie and Kaiser.

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0375714154/ qid=1126039332/sr=
8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4361452-8809620?v=glance&s=books&n=507846>

In that book, published not long after 9/11, the authors repeatedly state that the terror attacks had the possibility of transforming the media from mere profit centers into organizations committed to presenting high quality
news.

How long did it take for the same old same old to become the norm?

In short, I wouldn't hold my breath. Nothing's going to save our media - the
allure of 20 to 50% profit margins is too great.

On 9/6/05 1:00 PM, "David Farber" <dave () farber net> either wrote, forwarded
or quoted:

Will the fourth estate arise, finally? Maybe? This is an opinion piece on
the role of the media. I shudder to think what would have happened if
they'd toed the conventional line they've been toeing. Maybe this will
remind them of the role they play, one that's essential to a healthy
representative democracy.

--
John Lyon | http://surlyedition.com

President Coolidge came down in a railroad train
With a little fat man with a note-pad in his hand
The President say, "Little fat man isn't it a shame
What the river has done to this poor crackers land."
  -- Randy Newman, "Louisiana, 1927"