Interesting People mailing list archives

more on and another from Face the Nation one of the best editorial comments on the City of Louisiana

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 07:01:10 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Fritzson <richard.fritzson () gmail com>
Date: September 5, 2005 8:57:26 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] one of the best editorial comments on the City of Louisiana

I don't see television, except what appears online, so I haven't seen the MSNBC countdown. However, Bob Shieffer signed off Face the Nation with this:

   from:   http://www.crooksandliars.com/2005/09/04.html#a4787
SCHIEFFER: Finally, a personal thought. We have come through what may have been one of the worst weeks in America's history, a week in which government at every level failed the people it was created to serve. There is no purpose for government except to improve the lives of its citizens. Yet as scenes of horror that seemed to be coming from some Third World country flashed before us, official Washington was like a dog watching television. It saw the lights and images, but did not seem to comprehend their meaning or see any link to reality.

As the floodwaters rose, local officials in New Orleans ordered the city evacuated. They might as well have told their citizens to fly to the moon. How do you evacuate when you don't have a car? No hint of intelligent design in any of this. This was just survival of the richest."