Interesting People mailing list archives

Federal Protective Services in New Orleans

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 19:43:08 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brian Smithson <brian () grot com>
Date: September 5, 2005 3:54:19 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Federal Protective Services in New Orleans

For IP, if you like..

Didn't DHS and FEMA say they had no idea how bad things were because of lack of communication infrastructure, etc., which is why they didn't mobilize more, earlier?

Well, one (and only) one federal agency was on Johnny-on-the-spot in New Orleans first thing Monday morning, August 29. It's called Federal Protective Services, which is a unit of DHS. They mobilized right away to secure federal properties like courthouses, federal office buildings, and such. Once their work was done, they started helping in other relief efforts. No doubt these guys have sat-phones or radios or whatever else is needed to communicate with Washington.

I've seen very little coverage, much less discussion, of this, but it reminds me a bit of how certain facilities were secured in Iraq, like the oil ministry, when others were allowed to be raided and looted, like museums and armories.

Regards,

--
- Brian Smithson
  brian () grot com