Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Washington Monthly on photo op in NO

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 17:39:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Adams <jadams01 () sprynet com>
Date: September 5, 2005 3:15:49 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] Washington Monthly on photo op in NO

Original Message-----
From: "Steven M. Bellovin"<smb () cs columbia edu>

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the recovery work seen on

Bush's visit was staged for the cameras.  But I don't think that's the
real point.  My gripe is why any politicians at all are there.

I disagree, Steve. Sometimes it's a leader's job and duty to command from the front lines, danger, disruption, and all. I suspect Bush Senior would've known this, and I know Clinton (for all the SOB's many faults) did.

I agree with you that resources are diverted to bring them in, but those resources are usually fairly minimal (1) and often worth the boost in morale it brings to those on the site. I'm still shaking my head that the first person of any recognized authority to visit the Superdome was Harry Connick, Jr.--not his dad, the former New Orleans DA, but the musician (Plato knew something not everyone acknowledges, but it's as true of singers as it is of poets).

(1) With the exception of presidential and vice-presidential visits, given the Secret Service's understandable precautions--and I wonder how many more of those we'll see, given this story in CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/05/katrina.bush.ap/index.html

Here's the money quote:

On his arrival here, Bush went to the Bethany World Prayer Center, a huge hall half covered with pallets and half filled with dining tables. Several people ran up to meet him as he and first lady Laura Bush wandered around the room. But just as many hung back and just looked on.

"I'm not star-struck. I need answers," said Mildred Brown, who has been there since Tuesday with her husband, mother-in-law and cousin. "I'm not interested in hand-shaking. I'm not interested in photo ops. This is going to take a lot of money."

Thanks,

      John A
      see me fulminate at http://www.jzip.org/