Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Katrina and lessons from abroad

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 06:17:04 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ole Jacobsen <ole () cisco com>
Date: September 1, 2005 7:36:20 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Katrina and lessons from abroad

Given that New Orleans appears to have been lying "below sea level" for
quite some time, I wonder how much experiences from The Netherlands
have been or could be applied to the situation. Some 30% of The
Netherlands lies beneath sea level yet the country has not suffered
"The Big One" since 1953. This marker in Amstel Park tells an interesting
story:

http://www.yikes.com/~ole/summerdam/IMG_0534.jpg

... and I believe the lessons from 1953 have been applied in such a way
as to prevent similar damage were it to happen again. Of course the scale
of the projects in The Netherlands -- essentially building a large wall
around one side of the country and installing MANY pumps is massive, but
perhaps worth it, especially since we now hear talk of New Orleans not
ever being rebuilt.

I am sure some of your Dutch readers can fill us in on the details.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Academic Research and Technology Initiatives, Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole () cisco com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj