Interesting People mailing list archives

more on DHS' Chertoff: "We didn't plan for an A-bomb, either!"

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 14:56:51 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "robertslee () verizon net"<robertslee () verizon net>
Sent: 04/09/05 5:39:27 AM
To: "dave () farber net"<dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] DHS' Chertoff: "We didn't plan for an A-bomb, either!"

You have terribly ordinary people in extraordinarily important jobs, facing extraordinary events. I spent days watching
news feeds on my computer and listening to Fox, ironically. And even this station, which is to the right of Atilla the
Hun, was appalled, even as the storm bore down (before it struck and as it struck) by the sheer unreality of the
governor and mayor.

I also have no doubt that racism was involved.  I noted that this time, as in all racially encrusted events in this
country, the power structure was actually relieved when they saw black looters.  It gave them an excuse to do nothing
so that all non blacks would see what animals blacks are.

The hurrican did not fly into New Orleans at 400 miles an hour from left field.  It moved on them at 10 miles an hour
and days before it struck they were saying the city would be under water, so why the hell do they then do nothing for
days after and why do they make the evacuation voluntary and under your own steam instead of evacuating the city before
hand.

I saw an interview of the governor with Bill O'Reilly during the storm and he asked her five times incredulously how
long it would take New Orleans to recover and she said a few weeks, each time.

Not because she is a liar but because she is just a little person in a big job.

I listened to a high officer in some military organization say he had assembled from other states a force to send into
New Orleans but never sent them because New Orleans had not called him and asked for them.  He protested that he can
not force help on New Orleans.  What is the chance of tail being true?  Zero.  He is lying.  But that begs the question
of why?  Racism?  Stupidity?  A military man assembles a force to do battle and then never sends them to battle?  Has
New Orleans called him yet?

And the feds saying they could not send in troops because there was the phone lines were down? Do they need my sat
phone?  How do they fight wars in the damned desert?  Do they get SBC to run telephone poles?  How do the navy and
marines do it in water?  And the coast guard.  I will lend them my fins and my sat phone. And SCUBA gear if they need
it.

These leaders of ours KILLED innocent people as surely as if they had taken their heads and pushed them below the
surface of the water.

There have been floods in our history. But there has never been such a bizarre constructive refusal to ameliorate or
prevent such suffering.

I hope, but doubt, that heads roll.  We have moved from the pass fail world of yesterday to the pass world of today.