Interesting People mailing list archives

more on more on frequent fliers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:53:10 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: September 29, 2005 5:14:43 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, 'Ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on frequent fliers

It's worth trying to respond to this is a widely held view. It's a form of profiling that focuses more on others' perceived advantages in a zero sum
world. Ad hominem attack can displace effective criticism.

The attitudes can and do have a serious impact on public policy though
often in distorted forms such voting against welfare queens but in favor of
lifting the inheritance tax. Or banning immoral cell phones.

Many frequent flyers are oppressed workers traveling from meeting to
meeting spending days away from their family. Must they stand in line
beyond privileged travelers who can move about at their leisure?
Is taking a nap at 5AM between plains in O'Hare a luxury? Why the road rage
at a few who travel a lot to earn status flying or a few who pay for
status?

Is wealth just privilege and not something earned? I'll leave out the word "deserved"? Is wealth immoral per se? A while go Peter Denning recommend I
read "God Wants you to be Rich". If we get past the title it's about the
stakeholder argument and the assumption that not-wealth is morality.

I recognize some of moralistic traits in myself -- wanting to block the
person using the breakdown lane to get ahead of traffic while I'm resigned to waiting with the pack. But if I see an exit is it a privilege to use my navigation system to take advantage of local streets as a bypass? Would it be different if I had memorized the streets? All-to-often knowledge is seen
as privilege - the Ivory Tower.

Like wealth, technology is often seen as privilege. I see it as the real
source of complaints about cell phones. A few years ago I was told that I was showing off when I was simply making a few calls to coordinate with my
wife and kids.

Wealth can indeed be very distorting as can having the right relationships. Wealth can also be liberating and give people the freedom to contribute to
society. Many of the great scientists of the past were privileged to
indulge their curiosity.

The current administration might be in its position because of wealth but that's not enough to explain their policies. In many cases people actually
want to give the rich privilege -- it's a proxy for their own dreams and
hopes. After all, why should anyone care what a Hollywood star after work?