Interesting People mailing list archives

more on frequent fliers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:43:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joyce <jmmurphy () mindspring com>
Date: September 29, 2005 12:53:34 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on frequent fliers

"Catering to an elite" is a social/political development that has been rapidly expanding throughout our culture. Don't want to stand in line with the general public? Buy special tickets that allow you to go to the front of the line. Have no time to wait on a physician? Pay a "retainer" and go to a concierge doctor who will be available 24/7. Buy your own security to keep you safe. Send your kids to private school. Go the the VIP lounge in clubs. Shop and play after hours. Heck, buy your own island. Your very own kingdom.

As our country becomes more stratified and as wealth and resources become more concentrated in the hands of an elite, these special people expect not to have to put up with the inconveniences the rest of us see as part of our daily life. They truly become privileged and live in a totally separate world.

One part of me says they should go for it. What is the use of wealth and power if you cannot buy with it the luxuries that make your life easier? The other part of me says, "Wait a minute. When the people who have influence don't have to put up with the mess the other 98 percent of us put up with, they don't become involved in solving the problem."

This is supposed to be a republic. We are all supposed to be in this together. I'm not naive. I know that there have always been privileged people. I just hate to see it institutionalized in so many ways and at an increasing pace. It is en the end dysfunctional and creates more problems.

Joyce Murphy
 . . . just an interested person