Interesting People mailing list archives

more on editors query

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:18:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bruce R Koball <bkoball () well com>
Date: September 26, 2005 1:43:27 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on editors query

Dave,

At the risk of raising the ire of your "letter of the law" readers and
rehashing a well-worn fair use debate, I will suggest that your current
custom of occasionally including complete copyrighted articles is serving
the greater good. I believe that by maintaining this forum, with its
remarkably diverse and thoughtful readership, you are performing an
important public service. And as far as I'm aware, you derive no
compensation from it.

To the extent that an effort to meet the letter of the law will either
cost you more time to maintain the list or force you to include less
information, I think all your readers will suffer. I'll also point out
that by including complete text of important pieces instead of just
pointing with URLs this forum, at least in a small way, can inoculate the
public record against inadvertent link rot and intentional historical
revision.

-brk-

Bruce R. Koball         Motion West          (direct)   510 845-1350
bkoball () well com        2210 Sixth St        (office)   510 548-2450
bkoball () koball com      Berkeley, CA 94710   (studio)   510 845-3946

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin, 1759