Interesting People mailing list archives

more on upon suspicion .. Verizon to Police Web Customers To Protect Disney From Piracy -- a response from Dan Bricklin

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:54:52 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: September 25, 2005 10:37:40 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>, Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>, Tim Onosko <onosko () gmail com>, Dan Bricklin <Dan () Bricklin com> Subject: Re: [IP] upon suspicion .. Verizon to Police Web Customers To Protect Disney From Piracy -- a response from Dan Bricklin

This paragraph, as I read it,  also says Verizon may terminate your
service based on suspicion or allegation that you have infringed upon
Disney's copyrights, not actual proof as determined by a third party
such as a court of law.

Ah.  Which means that it's probably/possibly just become much easier
to get someone's Verizon service terminated.  I can think of any number
of methods which would readily create the appearance that a given
Verizon customer is engaged in just this sort of activity -- and I'm
sure I'm not the only one.

What a pity that Verizon doesn't put even a fraction of this sort of
effort into abating the non-stop torrent [1] of spam that's been gushing
out of their network for the last several years.  I suppose it's much
more important to please the copyright thugs at Disney than it is to
worry about the abuse of the entire rest of the Internet.

---Rsk

[1] 3,156 different spam-spewing Verizon hosts noted so far in 2005 and
that's just on a test server.  Numbers from a production box would be
a LOT higher.  And that's before we get into Verizon's use of callbacks,
aka "a free, highly scalable spam and DoS attack support service".