Interesting People mailing list archives

military to "provide defense support of civilian authorities including consequence management operations"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 17:39:52 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Date: September 25, 2005 3:36:06 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: military to "provide defense support of civilian authorities including consequence management operations"

This just in from a friend. Give special note of the second bulleted item.

Geee ... and here I thought the conservatives and those on the "Right" LIKED Posse Comitatus -- the 1878 Act prohibiting presidents from using the military to conduct "consequence management operations" normally limited to civil police agencies under LOCAL and STATE control. (But then again, I thought the "Right" also opposed run-away government pork/spending, too. Silly me!) --jim

Look what got created in 2002.

<http://www.northcom.mil/index.cfm?fuseaction=s.whoweare>http:// www.northcom.mil/index.cfm?fuseaction=s.whoweare

It's mission statement reads like a blank check.

The command's mission is homeland defense and civil support, specifically:

Conduct operations to deter, prevent, and defeat threats and aggression aimed at the United States, its territories, and interests within the assigned area of responsibility; and As directed by the President or Secretary of Defense, provide defense support of civil authorities including consequence management operations. U.S. Northern Command plans, organizes, and executes homeland defense and civil support missions, but has few permanently assigned forces. The command will be assigned forces whenever necessary to execute missions as ordered by the President.

Approximately 1,200 civil service employees and uniformed personnel representing all service branches provide this essential unity of command from U.S. Northern Command's headquarters at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, Colo.

I wondered why the President was riding out Rita there....