Interesting People mailing list archives

Coursey on IP (with MY comments :-)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 18:43:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Paul Levy <plevy () citizen org>
Date: September 23, 2005 6:13:27 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, david_coursey () ziffdavis com
Subject: Re: [IP] Coursey on IP (with MY comments :-)

Here are the snippets that got me:

which caused both the head of communications at NPR and a producer at "This American Life" to take the time to issue their organizations' response.

and

Responding to these questions and allegations takes someone's time
and, frankly, most people have better things to do than respond to
wacky Internet posts.

That is the power of the Internet that I adore. Important folk who otherwise couldn't be bothered worrying about criticisms of their institutions from the nobodies have to take the time to respond.

If Coursey reads your list, he would know that you are not engaged in Internet journalism in the sense that he means, but that you provide a forum for messages that you think your readers may find interesting, and for RESPONSES and debate about those messages. Those of us who do read your list expect the responses (and remember them)

Coursey wants to confine broad publicity to the old-fashioned, highly intermediated publication where there are fact-checkers before every story goes out. If you don't have time to check, don't report. Thank goodness that era has passed. Not that there aren't dangers, but I say this is progress. This is, indeed, the marketplace of ideas.

But wait, does Coursey really think that? Take a look at the END of his article as shown on eweek.com -- isn't that a blog? And although I don't see any forum at the end of Coursey's own article on publish.com, you can register as a "member" at publish.com and you get the opportunity "to post to message boards and article talkbacks" (not to speak of the opportunity to get "special offers" from Ziff-Davis and its partners. http://www.publish.com/join/ 0,1213,,00.asp?success_page=/article2/0,1895,1862256,00.asp

Does someone fact check every post before it goes up there? Do Coursey and his publishers put up blogs to make his columns more of a destination, and to attract readers (who will see their advertising? You of course don't make any money off your list). Do Coursey and his publisher profit from the very process that he criticizes?

Paul Alan Levy
Public Citizen Litigation Group
1600 - 20th Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20009
(202) 588-1000
http://www.citizen.org/litigation

David Farber <dave () farber net> 9/23/2005 5:36 PM >>>

He sent this to me and I disagree djf

First newspapers often  do not check that well and they have
exstensuive staff to do so.

But more important. Within 2 or three hours we had authentic
information on how NPR operates and that this was an unintentional
error on a stations part. HOWEVER IF I HAD THE RESOURSES TO CALL
AWAY , iy mau jave been days to track down that info.

Sure online news has noise but the normal press has a bad case of
ignoring some criticla news or news which is PC.

Also Coursey can unsub IP i

Dave

Begin forwarded message: