Interesting People mailing list archives

"United States of Shame"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 17:36:22 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steve Goldstein <steve.goldstein () cox net>
Date: September 3, 2005 4:27:02 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] "United States of Shame"

The more I think about our Commander-in-Chief's "performance" in Mississippi, the more resentful and angry I get. I am referring to the two very comely black women whom he hugged profusely and kissed on their heads (which appeared to have been freshly coiffed!) as they cried their tale of woe to him for all the nation to see and hear: "And, we don't have any clothes!" Try to tell me that these women were not carefully selected from crowds of the faithful and "cleaned up" to be both attractive and presentable to the Prez' as foils for his caring performance. I am not criticizing them at all; they were needy and deserving of all the help that they, and others, too, could receive. But, what riles me is that this, like any other public Presidential event appeared to be wholly staged. I mean, you didn't see our Prez' hugging a middle-aged morbidly obese person of either gender whose clothes stank from having to wade through flooded streets and whose hair was disheveled from days of perspiring with no showers, did you?

ARGHHH!

--Steve