Interesting People mailing list archives

Hacked Speedpass, Hotel mag cards

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:03:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jean Armour Polly <mom () netmom com>
Date: September 20, 2005 11:43:24 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Hacked Speedpass, Hotel mag cards

Dave- two security stories popular on Digg tonight:
http://rfidanalysis.org/
"The Texas Instruments DST tag is a cryptographically enabled RFID transponder used in several wide-scale systems including vehicle immobilizers and the ExxonMobil SpeedPass system. This page serves as an overview of our successful attacks on DST enabled systems. A preliminary version of the full academic paper describing our attacks in detail is also available below."
and
http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/1016
"... Wallace, IT director at AAA Reading-Berks in Wyomissing, Penn. has been bringing a card reader with him on business trips to see what's on the magnetic strips of his hotel room access cards. To his dismay, a surprising number have contained his name and credit card information - and in unencrypted form."