Interesting People mailing list archives

DSL Prime: Should Ed Whitacre and Brian Roberts choose your TV viewing?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:33:21 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>
Date: September 19, 2005 6:19:25 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com> Subject: DSL Prime: Should Ed Whitacre and Brian Roberts choose your TV viewing?

Should Ed Whitacre and Brian Roberts choose your TV viewing?

Dave Burstein. DSL Prime Volume 6, #28 Issue date 9/15/05
http://www.dslprime.com/

Freedom to access content of your choice under attack

Cisco, Dell, Amazon and Google just had a major failure in
D.C. on what they call the key issue. Last year, under pressure
from Mike Powell to protect open access, SBC was very clear. “SBC
does not plan to give meaningful preference (in terms of
bandwidth allocation) to any particular video service or video
content provider. ... We don't plan to limit access from
computers or give bandwidth preference to content.”

Now, in the language of the Barton bill is a buried provision
that allow the carriers to effectively block video that competes
with them. Some very bad reporting missed that implication of the
exceptions based on QOS and network limits, which are being
deployed in a way that will clobber competitive video. The result
is far less effective than what SBC had already promised last
year. More depth next issue, but I hope my readers at the key
tech companies get to work on this one, fast.

There’s a lot of rhetoric coming from D.C. that is simply false
when you read the bills and understand what they imply. I hope
it’s just that the lobbyists don’t understand the issues, not
that the tech community so ineffectual. Craig Mundie, this is the
big one.

     Bill Safire - this is the guts of the next media
     concentration debate. One telco reports 80% of their
     programming comes from just 6 companies. Time to wave the
     flag. I’ll have more depth next issue.

---
Robert J. Berger - Internet Bandwidth Development, LLC.
Voice: 408-882-4755 eFax: +1-408-490-2868
PGP Key: http://www.ibd.com/html/rbergerPublic.gpgkey
http://www.ibd.com