Interesting People mailing list archives

more on The Inquirer: Anti-Skype software kills IM, P2P too

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:54:56 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Marc <marcaniballi () hotmail com>
Date: September 19, 2005 11:29:12 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] The Inquirer: Anti-Skype software kills IM, P2P too

While this whole idea is disturbing to say the least, I do find one thing
ironic;

Apparently US ISPs are all "gung-ho" to implement Skype blocking to protect their "turf," but the reality is that the first folks to implement this will
be countries such at Saudi Arabia where the national monopoly telcos are
happy to block any infringement of their turf, and have little impediment to
doing so. (This happened back in 2000 when MSFT had introduced voice to
Messenger - it was summarily blocked). I guess there aren't many differences
between totalitarian regimes and American Telcos.

;-)

Marc